We are seeking a Chief of Staff who can provide exceptional independent contributions and leadership across all facets of the company.
Your goal is to deliver the highest possible value to the organization by working directly with the CEO, and with technical and non-technical teams. Sometimes your job will be working with engineering teams to tackle future bottlenecks more quickly, sometimes it will be to firefight urgent issues, and other times you’ll be in charge of personally building out new functions that are soon to be critical to Avala but don’t yet have an owner. Let’s be honest… all three of those things will often all be a part of one day.
- You’re actively curious. This company has more complex dimensions than most and you’ll have to learn them to be effective. That excites you more than it intimidates you.
- You’re extremely resourceful. There is no playbook for what we’re doing and it excites you that you’ll have to find solutions across a broad array of problems.
- You thrive in a constantly changing environment. You don’t subscribe to sunk cost fallacy and you understand that because the organization is rapidly learning that means it will also be rapidly changing.
- You’re truth-seeking. We don’t do hierarchy for hierarchy’s sake. We only care about the right outcome. If an intern has the best idea you will take it and implement it. If you are wrong in an assumption you will be upfront about it and correct it instead of defending it or hiding it. This is how we get to the most transparent and robust information system.
- You believe in meritocracy with humility. When you’re the right person to solve a problem you will jump in to do it without being asked. Likewise, if someone else is the right person to tackle something you’re not concerned about defending territory. We’re all on the same team trying to achieve the same mission.
- Find the fires and fight them. This could be tensions between people, critical tasks that aren’t getting done that you may need to do, dealing with anomalies that arise (startup life)
- Help engineering teams with critical non-engineering tasks. Our engineering systems need to move quickly and you may have to assist with structure, recruiting, and helping integration across teams.
- Keep the trains on schedule. Our system moves at the rate of its slowest component. You will be in charge of making sure we’re setting up and administering efficient systems to keep the operational side of the company running smoothly.
- Perform exception handling in sensitive areas. You will learn more about the company across all its dimensions than most others so you’ll need to solve many problems
- Create efficiencies and eliminate inefficiencies. Speed of each iteration cycle is what this company is optimizing for. You will need to create new systems and be diligent about updating or deleting vestigial ones.
- Proven track record of exceptional ability (i.e., have personally solved difficult problems that have moved the needle on meaningful projects)
- Demonstrated desire (and ability) to win (e.g., competitive degree, track record of winning academic or athletic competitions)
- Combination of high intellectual aptitude and emotional awareness
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
- Technical aptitude or technically curiosity (e.g., an engineering degree or an operational role at a deep tech company)
- Experience scaling a fast growth, early-stage company
What we offer
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented team mates
- Growth potential. We rapidly advance team members who have an outsized impact.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, parental leave.
- Flexible time off + paid holidays.
Our Pledge to Fostering an Inclusive and Safe Workplace 💙
Avala pledges to be a harassment- and discrimination-free space for everyone, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, nationality, neurotype, personal appearance, political affiliation, professional background, race, religion, or sexual identity or orientation.