We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who can contribute to our product. This is an opportunity to have a big impact and get lots of ownership. We're looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a company and is self driven.
You'll enjoy this role if you can
- Taking the reins in building the foundation for our service in order to supercharge our data.
- Build a scalable, maintainable, secure, non-blocking, and performant REST API, following REST standards and best practices.
- Writing unit and integration tests with a high percentage of test coverage.
- Querying the database efficiently.
- Documenting the endpoints.
- Helping to build out a seamless, beautiful customer experience that feels comfortable and effortless for our customers.
- Shaping our practice as one of our early hires, bringing your technical leadership, experience, and knowledge of best practices to establish a strong engineering culture.
- At least 5 years experience developing web applications and backend services in a professional setting.
- You should have played a lead role in building, shipping and maintaining enterprise software.
- Strong experience with backend technologies (Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, PostgreSQL, Pytest).
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the web works.
- Familiar with modern engineering practices: code reviews, continuous-deployment, automated testing.
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
Nice To Have Skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with scientific computing libraries such as numpy, pandas, or scikit-learn is a plus.
- Experience with big data systems such as Spark, Hadoop/MapReduce is a plus.
- Experience with ElasticSearch or other scalable search systems is a plus.
- Experience with cloud computing such AWS EC2/S3/RDS is a plus.
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.
- Knowledge of machine learning, computer vision, or neural networks is a plus but not required
- You can flex between frontend and backend.
- You've worked at a startup before.
Our Pledge to Fostering an Inclusive and Safe Workplace 💙
Avala pledges to be a harassment- and discrimination-free space for everyone, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, nationality, neurotype, personal appearance, political affiliation, professional background, race, religion, or sexual identity or orientation.