Data is deeply embedded in the product and engineering culture at Avala. You will be joining Avala's small and elite team of engineers, and will own our data analytics tooling and the infrastructure that runs it all. You will help other engineers and the entire company through direct support by doing data analysis for them as well as through the applications and tools you build so they can self-serve those analyses in the future.
If you join us, you will have a central role in empowering the entire team to better leverage the vast amounts of data we collect. Your contributions will have an outsized impact toward Avala's mission of enabling a future abundant economic opportunity for all.
We are looking for a talented Data Scientist & Engineer to join us as a foundational member of the team to provide leadership in the definition and implementation of processes and tools to enable data science at Avala. This is an opportunity to have a big impact and get lots of ownership. We're looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a company and is self driven.
You'll enjoy this role if you can
- Work with stakeholders to take a vague problem statement, refine the scope of the analysis, and use the results to drive informed decisions
- Write reproducible data analysis over data using cutting-edge open source technologies
- Summarize and clearly communicate data analysis assumptions and results
- Build data pipelines to promote your ad-hoc data analyses into production dashboards that engineers can rely on
- Design and implement metrics, applications and tools that will enable engineers by allowing them to self-serve their data insights
- Work with engineers to drive usage of your applications and tools
- Write clean and tested code that can be maintained and extended by other software engineers
- Operate and support your production applications
- Keep up to date on relevant technologies and frameworks, and propose new ones that the team could leverage
- Identify trends, invent new ways of looking at data, and get creative in order to drive improvements in both existing and future products
- Strong software engineering foundations and a desire to apply those skills toward making other engineers more productive
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
- Strong proficiency in Python, SQL
- Strong foundation in statistics
- Experience building data visualizations
- Experience writing software in a professional environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills to help refine problem statements and figure out how to solve them with the available data
- Smart but humble, with a bias for action
Nice To Have Skills
- You've worked at a startup before.
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.
- Experience with data science tools such as Pandas, Numpy, R, Matlab, Octave, Jupyter notebooks, Bokeh, Superset and Airflow
- Experience building data pipelines
- Experience building web applications
- Experience building machine learning models in a professional environment
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous development
- Experience in devops, e.g. Linux, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience with Scala
- Understanding of distributed computing, e.g. how HBase, HDFS, Spark and Presto work
Our Pledge to Fostering an Inclusive and Safe Workplace 💙
Avala pledges to be a harassment-free and discrimination-free space for everyone, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, nationality, neurotype, personal appearance, political affiliation, professional background, race, religion, or sexual identity or orientation.